It’s finally here! SharePoint Conference 2018 kicked off today with a load of new features that we all should be excited to hear about! In this post we’ll do a quick run down from the Keynote at the SharePoint Conference.
This isn’t a complete list of updates, frankly there are too many! However, here is a list of my favorites so far.
- The ability to scan in documents, receipts from your mobile device and immediately upload the document to OneDrive.
- Back up your camera roll from your mobile device directly to your personal OneDrive and your business OneDrive!
As previously shown at Ignite 2017, new search features are powered by AI and Machine Learning. What this means is that SharePoint, Office 365 and Microsoft 365 will now provide a personalized search based on commonly visited content, content relevant to you and more.
SharePoint Team Sites
- Real time changes to libraries and lists! When colleagues change data in the lists, it will instantly change for you without refreshing the page!
Document Library Web Parts
- Web Parts will now support Drag & Drop, Filtering, Sorting and grouping functionality.
- Column Formatting JSON
- Users can now bring in rich KPIs they built on a document library and use those features in a page through the document library web part.
SharePoint lists are getting revamped in an effort to make lists easier for your users. This includes a modern UI for building lists based on existing lists in your site.
- Provide the ability to create a list and automatically bring over Flows and PowerApps into your new list based on the previous list.
- Real time updates
- You will be able to see updates immediately as other team members are updating and modifying the list.
- You will not need to use refresh to see the latest list updates
- Paste from Excel
- You will be able to take an excel table and paste it into a SharePoint list.
- Lists will create columns for you if they are missing from the SharePoint list.
- PowerBI will be able to be integrated with your SharePoint lists using machine learning and AI to built real time analysis of the data in your lists!
SharePoint Communication Sites
- Tag pages with metadata
- Ability to tag pages with metadata such as Region, Role, Activity. These values are just columns on the SharePoint library which allow you to create web parts to filter pages within your organization.
- Page Approval workflow
- A new page approval workflow is powered by Microsoft Flow
- Can be customized to meet your approval needs!
- Can be approved via from the approval panel in SharePoint or from within an actionable email.
- Microsoft stream now transcribes the video for easier searchability of your videos.
- Publish news from SharePoint to Microsoft Teams, to the SharePoint mobile app or directly to email!
- News Scheduling & publishing
- The ability to not only publish News via a scheduled date
New Web Parts
- Weather Web Part (giggle)
- Microsoft Training Services
- Delivers content directly to your intranet. Content is delivered from Azure and provides all the training users may be interested in to be showed on your SharePoint Pages.
- Hinted at more…
- The ability to run site scripts when adding new sites to a hub. This will allow you to run custom logic such as creating new lists or even managing permissions immediately as a site joins a hub site.
SharePoint Development using SharePoint Framework will now be cross platform. That is, web parts you built in SharePoint using the SharePoint Framework (SPFx) will now be able to be used in Microsoft Teams
- New Tab Features
- Will support the new document library web part as well. So when users are inside Microsoft teams, they can now drag and drop, filter and use column formatting directly within Microsoft Teams.
- Will also support SharePoint pages within your Microsoft Teams tabs. This will make it much easier for users to stay organized and focus on work, without ever having to leave Microsoft Teams.
- Will support SPFx web parts as new tabs.
- SharePoint Integration for managing Business Critical Data
- When adding content & images to a SharePoint library, Microsoft flow can be used to run Text Analysis to figure out important metadata and information that is relevant to the document. This information could be location a photo was taken, common words found in the document or library and automatically tag your content!
- Modern UI will be coming to SharePoint 2019
- SharePoint Home
- Modern Team and Communication Sites
- Modern Lists and Libraries
- New Modern authoring canvas for SharePoint pages.
Looking for more updates on SharePoint 2019? Check out my good friend Nick Brattoli’s post on all the super awesome features coming to on-premises! https://collab365.community/sharepoint-2019-features-announced/